NewLink Genetics Corporation
NEWLINK GENETICS CORP (Form: 3, Received: 11/18/2013 16:38:39)
FORM 3
        
UNITED STATES SECURITIES AND EXCHANGE COMMISSION
Washington, D.C. 20549

INITIAL STATEMENT OF BENEFICIAL OWNERSHIP OF SECURITIES

OMB APPROVAL
OMB Number: 3235-0104
Estimated average burden
hours per response...
0.5
                      
Filed pursuant to Section 16(a) of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934 or Section 30(h) of the Investment Company Act of 1940
                      

1. Name and Address of Reporting Person *

Langren Carl W.

2. Date of Event Requiring Statement (MM/DD/YYYY)
11/7/2013 

3. Issuer Name and Ticker or Trading Symbol

NEWLINK GENETICS CORP [(NLNK)]

(Last)        (First)        (Middle)

C/O NEWLINK GENETICS CORPORATION, 2503 SOUTH LOOP DR., SUITE 5100

4. Relationship of Reporting Person(s) to Issuer (Check all applicable)

_____ Director                            _____ 10% Owner
___ X ___ Officer (give title below)          _____ Other (specify below)
Principal Accounting Officer /

(Street)

AMES, IA 50010       

(City)              (State)              (Zip)
5. If Amendment, Date Original Filed (MM/DD/YYYY)

 

6. Individual or Joint/Group Filing (Check Applicable Line)

_ X _ Form filed by One Reporting Person
___ Form filed by More than One Reporting Person


Table I - Non-Derivative Securities Beneficially Owned
1.Title of Security
(Instr. 4)
2. Amount of Securities Beneficially Owned
(Instr. 4)
3. Ownership Form: Direct (D) or Indirect (I)
(Instr. 5)
4. Nature of Indirect Beneficial Ownership
(Instr. 5)
Common Stock   56991   D    
Common Stock   8429   I   By Pension Plan  
Common Stock   8429   I   By Spouse's Pension Plan  
Common Stock   1300   I   By Son  

Table II - Derivative Securities Beneficially Owned ( e.g. , puts, calls, warrants, options, convertible securities)
1. Title of Derivate Security
(Instr. 4)
2. Date Exercisable and Expiration Date
(MM/DD/YYYY)
3. Title and Amount of Securities Underlying Derivative Security
(Instr. 4)
4. Conversion or Exercise Price of Derivative Security 5. Ownership Form of Derivative Security: Direct (D) or Indirect (I)
(Instr. 5)
6. Nature of Indirect Beneficial Ownership
(Instr. 5)
Date Exercisable Expiration Date Title Amount or Number of Shares
Stock Option (Right to Buy)   12/14/2008   (1) 12/13/2017   Common Stock   9523.0   $2.1   D    
Stock Option (Right to Buy)   3/3/2011   (2) 3/2/2020   Common Stock   2380.0   $3.07   D    
Stock Option (Right to Buy)   1/21/2010   (1) 1/20/2019   Common Stock   2564.0   $0.8   D    
Stock Option (Right to Buy)   4/14/2012   (2) 4/13/2021   Common Stock   16666.0   $7.0   D    
Stock Option (Right to Buy)   10/19/2012   (2) 10/18/2021   Common Stock   23809.0   $7.0   D    
Stock Option (Right to Buy)   1/19/2013   (2) 1/18/2022   Common Stock   15000.0   $6.87   D    
Stock Option (Right to Buy)   1/14/2014   (2) 1/13/2023   Common Stock   20000.0   $11.79   D    

Explanation of Responses:
( 1)  Grant to the Reporting Person of a stock option under the 2009 Equity Incentive Plan (the "Plan"). The option vests over a five-year period, with 20% of such option vesting on the one-year anniversary of the vesting commencement date and the remaining 80% of such option vesting in equal monthly installments over the next 48 months, provided that at the relevant vesting dates the Reporting Person's continuous service to the Issuer has not been terminated as defined in or as determined under the Plan. The option expires ten years after the date of grant.
( 2)  Grant to the Reporting Person of a stock option under the 2009 Equity Incentive Plan (the "Plan"). The option vests over a four-year period, with 25% of such option vesting on the one-year anniversary of the vesting commencement date and the remaining 75% of such option vesting in equal monthly installments over the next 36 months, provided that at the relevant vesting dates the Reporting Person's continuous service to the Issuer has not been terminated as defined in or as determined under the Plan. The option expires ten years after the date of grant.

Reporting Owners
Reporting Owner Name / Address
Relationships
Director 10% Owner Officer Other
Langren Carl W.
C/O NEWLINK GENETICS CORPORATION
2503 SOUTH LOOP DR., SUITE 5100
AMES, IA 50010


Principal Accounting Officer

Signatures
/s/ Gordon Link, by power of attorney 11/18/2013
** Signature of Reporting Person Date


Reminder: Report on a separate line for each class of securities beneficially owned directly or indirectly.
* If the form is filed by more than one reporting person, see Instruction 5(b)(v).
** Intentional misstatements or omissions of facts constitute Federal Criminal Violations. See 18 U.S.C. 1001 and 15 U.S.C. 78ff(a).
Note: File three copies of this Form, one of which must be manually signed. If space is insufficient, see Instruction 6 for procedure.
Persons who respond to the collection of information contained in this form are not required to respond unless the form displays a currently valid OMB control number.

POWER OF ATTORNEY

Know all by these presents, that the undersigned hereby constitutes and appoints Charles J. Link, Jr., Gordon H. Link, Mark Wiranowski and James C.T. Linfield, or any one of them signing singly, and with full power of substitution, the undersigned's true and lawful attorney-in-fact to:

(1)
execute for and on behalf of the undersigned, in the undersigned's capacity as an officer, director and/or more than 10% stockholder of NewLink Genetics Corporation (the “Company”), Forms 3, 4, and 5 (including any amendments thereto) in accordance with Section 16(a) of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934 and the rules thereunder;

(2)
do and perform any and all acts for and on behalf of the undersigned which may be necessary or desirable to complete and execute any such Form 3, 4, or 5, complete and execute any amendment or amendments thereto, and timely file such form with the SEC and any stock exchange or similar authority; and

(3)
take any other action of any type whatsoever in connection with the foregoing which, in the opinion of such attorney-in-fact, may be of benefit to, in the best interest of, or legally required by, the undersigned, it being understood that the documents executed by such attorney-in-fact on behalf of the undersigned pursuant to this Power of Attorney shall be in such form and shall contain such terms and conditions as such attorney-in-fact may approve in such attorney-in-fact's discretion.

The undersigned hereby grants to each such attorney-in-fact full power and authority to do and perform any and every act and thing whatsoever requisite, necessary, or proper to be done in the exercise of any of the rights and powers herein granted, as fully to all intents and purposes as the undersigned might or could do if personally present, with full power of substitution or revocation, hereby ratifying and confirming all that such attorney-in-fact, or such attorney-in-fact's substitute or substitutes, shall lawfully do or cause to be done by virtue of this power of attorney and the rights and powers herein granted. The undersigned acknowledges that the foregoing attorneys-in-fact, in serving in such capacity at the request of the undersigned, are not assuming, nor is the Company assuming, any of the undersigned's responsibilities to comply with Section 16 of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934.

This Power of Attorney shall remain in full force and effect until the earliest to occur of (a) the undersigned is no longer required to file Forms 3, 4, and 5 with respect to the undersigned's holdings of and transactions in securities issued by the Company, (b) revocation by the undersigned in a signed writing delivered to the foregoing attorneys-in-fact, or (c) as to any attorney-in-fact individually, until such attorney-in-fact shall no longer be employed by the Company or Cooley LLP, as applicable.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, the undersigned has caused this Power of Attorney to be executed as of this 7th day of November, 2013.
    
    
/s/ Carl W. Langren        
CARL W. LANGREN